FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:56 am
LAX Gambit

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
Thumbs down no love for this lowly gold

I've returned from a disappointing one-night FWN stay at the RH.

Arrived on Sunday, 9/6 (Labor Day weekend). Apparently, there was a convention happening at the Sheraton which filled up that hotel. Upon check in at RH, I was notified no upgrades available as the Sheraton was sending guests over since they were full. I did get the nice lei from valet, pink drink and cold towel. And was shown a garden room w/ King bed. I also requested a late checkout, since I was diving the next morning, and was only offered until 2pm.

I will have to agree with most comments that the King garden room isn't spacious, but we didn't go to HNL to stay in the room.

While unpacking, we discovered the safe un-usable. Security came to check and they tried contacting a locksmith that had just left the property? to no avail. Not offered another room, we were told to use the hotel safe, and we were given comps for breakfast (and later online access). While that worked for my friend, I could only order a bagel that I had to take with me as I was picked up for the dive.

They said the hotel was pretty full, but checking online, showed more expensive rooms were available. We were only staying one night so I didn't think more of it and since I realize golds are not guaranteed upgrades. But I am now even more disappointed, especially if I hear someone else got an upgrade (no offense 7Continents). And the fact that the 2pm late checkout could be extended later since I was delayed returning just gets annoying.

Lastly, I know I was on an award stay, but shouldn't the valet charges at least appear on my activity? Or do they not count as well? I was tempted to ask to get that comped as well, but I wanted some points to post for the trip.

With this one night, I can now say that I've stayed at all of the HNL starwood properties (unfortunately I missed out on the W, but it's gone so it doesn't count anymore).

Of the four, I'm a bit torn which property I would stay next time. Based on this trip, I would definitely only recommend the RH if you are a platinum.