FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Over the counter" meds/vitamins on international travel
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:40 pm
Willytx

Programs: DL AA
It can depend on where you are going. I haven't had my bags searched in ages flying into western Europe. (knock on wood). Original containers are best. A bottle of assorted pills is likely to be more suspicious than anything with a label on it. I did once have a Polish customs guy fixate on a bottle of vitamin C, totally not noticing the TWO cartons of cigarettes in the same bag. This was on a train from Russia and only one carton is allowed when entering the EU. He asked several times what the pills were, I said the word 'vitamins' which he finally understood. Prescription medication should always be in the original bottle as well. You don't want to spend a few days in some police station in some remote corner of the world waiting to have your fish oil analyzed.

If you are going to say, Costa Rica, they are used to American seniors with lots of meds going there. I have a friend who vacations in Nicaragua and he carries prescription drugs and supplements, no problem.

It is worth taking the things you may need with you, they can be pricey 'over there'. A 500 count bottle of ibuprofen will blow a German's mind.

Last edited by Willytx; Sep 14, 2009 at 1:55 pm Reason: Distracted - train of thought went off the rails....