FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:22 am
7Continents

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Gold gets a suite upgrade for all 6 nights

Yes folks, as a lowly gold, I was assigned a true suite. It was a huge entry room with full couch etc, a bit sparsely furnished for the size of the room though. It did have a separate bedroom with a king bed, smallish bathroom but full tub/shower. There was some noise from the restaurant exhaust two floors below but with the heavy drapes pulled, I couldn't hear it at night. The view was of the main entrance through one window, and the new Sheraton mega-pool/ocean through the others. The only laugh was that they did not check me in properly, so after 24 hours I was locked out. Having asked if they had changed their mind about the suite, they did fix the problem and sent an apology note and fruit plate the next day.
They ran out of towels at the pool and told me I could walk over to the Sheraton if I wanted, and there wasn't a lick of staff on the beach the first two days I was there. There were many "reserved" beach chairs that could have used enforcement of the 90 minute rule. The other days at the pool the staff was quite agreeable.
The grounds are beautiful, rooms nice. The pool area is a bit bigger than the Moana, the beach area much bigger but with all the chairs on top of each other. I'm not really convinced the new RH is worth the premium over the Moana, but I suppose it's just a matter of perspective. I had a great stay at the Moana, really enjoying the perspective that you are right on the ocean from all of the public outdoor areas, and I really enjoy morning coffee under the banyan tree.