FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yet Another Luggage Question
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:53 am
patk

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K, Avis First, Marriot PP, SPG GLD
Hey Till,

Originally Posted by tfar
PK,

is the garment bag there already? Impressions?

Besides the Redoxx Airboss, I'd like to attract your attention to two equally interesting BR offers.

The 235x, which I own and the review of which you can read in the shoulderbag shoot-out on OBOW.

And the 231x, Double Expandable Tote
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...able-Tote_231X

The 235x has the larger base dimensions and features a suiter panel among many other things.

The 231x has the smaller base dimensions but can be expanded to 12 inches deep. That will give it roughly the same volume as a 20" rollaboard.

Given that you are going the BR route anyway, I thought I'd let you know.

Till
Thanks! So yeah, I got the bags, in fact, I'm (re)packing now (got up at 2am to try and get on German time, flight leaves at 10:00).

So I really like the tri-fold. It's a great bag. But I ran in to one huge problem: the shoes issue. I took pictures of how I packed it, I'll post when I get bag. So as I said, it's great for suits, lots of room, sturdy, and when packed it still was under roll-on size. I think it even holds more stuff than the roll-on.

But I couldn't fit my shoes anywhere. The bag is very thin (~3") so depending on where you put the shoes inside the bag, they "lumped" the bag and made folding over very difficult because of the size. The best spot was up near where the hanger is (I removed the little pouches up there by the shoulders), but my shoes are too long and wouldn't let the bag fold over. I had debated just wearing them, but these shoes are still new and I'm worried that they might cause me problems because I haven't broken them in yet. My last trip to Germany killed my feet because of new-shoe issues.

I should've worn the shoes and broken them in ahead of time, but I didn't... So I chickened out. I just now got through re-packing everything into the B&R 21" that I bought, and was able to fit the shoes in there as well. The 21" has a suiter so I put the suits in that. They will get a bit more wrinkled because of the width (the tri-fold is wider and accommodates my broad shouldered suits better), but that's what steam in the showers is for I'll gamble that the bag will fit the sizer if I get checked (from the other posts I've seen, the bag should *just* fit).

So I'll try the garment bag on another trip when I can wear the shoes I need on the flight. The garment bag really is almost perfect, except for my size 13 shoes which I didn't break in first.