FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone got milage credit from checking in online but not actually flying???
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:58 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mre5765
What if I am traveling with some else? We have adjacent seats. I missed the flight, my fare is non-refundable, and I did not cancel (so no hope of using the credit). My companion does makes the flight. My companion should be able to enjoy that space. It is unethical for the airline to do otherwise, and it should assume that I have a companion.

It's my space. I paid to keep it open. If the airline wants to use the space, then it ethically it needs to compensate me.
That's really stretching the argument too far, don't you think? It's unethical for the airline to deprive you of the extra room you would have shared with a traveling companion? How should the airline take that into account??

How about the pleasant conversation you were going to have that he/she is now deprived of? Should the airline make up for that too? Or what if you were business travelers and would not reasonably be expecting to cross your arms/legs into each others' seat areas? The airline doesn't give you a break then, but does if you're close traveling companions? Cmon.

We pay for seats one by one, and that's all that can be reasonably expected of the airline to account for also. If you wanted another seat worth of space, you buy another ticket.