FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HNL Thrifty Experience
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:32 pm
miles_navigator

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Thumbs down HNL Thrifty Experience

I rented a full size car from HNL Thrifty on line. I didn’t put my Blue Chip number in on purpose because sometimes (for some rental companies) it increases the rental rate.

Pick Up at the airport was fine and smooth to the off site lot.

Thrifty staff at HNL couldn’t figure out how to put in my Blue Chip number in reservation and finally I said forget it.

They gave us a Dodge Charger for my full size reservation. We couldn’t get our entire luggage into the car, mainly the kid’s umbrella strollers couldn’t go on top of the luggage in the trunk due to lack of trunk height. I didn’t understand this because I got everything into a Toyota Camry in DFW which is a smaller car physically than a Dodge Charger.

We asked for a larger car and there were no cars to be had or no complementary upgrades as Blue Chip member. There was Magnum which came in but they weren’t willing to give it to us because it needed to be cleaned (even though we were willing to waive the cleaning).

They wanted $20/day extra for Dodge Durango available on the property. This is the same rate I had reserved for a mini-van earlier (but canceled) when I was expecting more people to come along on the trip.

We some how slammed the 2 umbrella strollers in the back seat and held on to them and left with the Dodge Charger.

The Dodge Charger was a very bad car to drive. The way the side mirrors are there are big blind spots when you make left/right turns around 90degress. The passengers in the back seat complained they could feel all the bumps on the road. The back left and right corners between side window and rear wind shield was little wide as well creating blind spots for changing lanes.

I had to make a 2nd trip to the airport to drop off the luggage so everything would fit on the way back without the back seat passengers have to sit in a funny way and hold onto the strollers

The signs for the rental car return at HNL for Thrifty at almost non existent so please gave GPS with their address. I flagged down the Entperise van driver and asked him.

The cake was they charged me more for returning the car 1 hour 10 mins earlier than the expected return time. The computer changed my rental to a daily rate for a higher total than the weekly rental rate. The manager tried to explain this is better (for Thirfy yes but it is not thirfty for me). To make up for my experience he gave me two (2) 10% vouchers after he manually corrected the charge. Gee thanks, when I can get these discounts online.