FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:17 pm
lomatopo

Originally Posted by Kalboz
See also: http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/1...0/4042934.html

Langham Hotels International (LHI) has doubled its footprint in Thailand to four properties following the signing of a deal with Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited (BTSC) to manage two new five-star properties in the country’s capital.

The 400-room Langham Place, Phayathai, Bangkok, close to the city’s premier shopping location at Siam Centre is just 14 minutes from Suwannabhumi Airport thanks to the new Airport Rail link. The property captures the other side of the city’s vibrant nature with an emphasis on sparkling service that reflects the guests’ fun loving and sociable approach to life.
The Langham proporties are being developed with the BTS, operator of the Skytrain. The Sukhumvit property will be on the currently empty lot on the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Sukhumvit Soi 6 (currently the record holder for the most expensive property sale) while the Phaya Thai property will be on an empty lot adjacent to the Phaya Thai BTS station, and convenient to the terminus station of the City Line (local SARL). In theory one could take the city line from SBIA, or take the Airport Express to the CAT and change to the City Line to get to Phaya Thai, or walk to the Petchburi MRT (subway) stop, go to Sukhumvit, change to the BTS (Asoke) and go to Phaya Thai. This would involve two/three separate tickets, and quite a bit of walking including stairs and luggage-challenging ticket entrances.

I'm not sure I'll want to wait around for the Airport Express, with service on the hour to begin (maybe every 30 minutes in the future), and not sure when the City Line might start service, so it will be a novelty at first. Re: going to the Westin/SGS via the Airport Express and the MRT I say "good luck", you'll do that once and only once.

Not sure where the Lancaster property will be, I suspect on the other side of New Petchburi Road so you'll need some sort of motorized transport (taxi, tuk-tuk, hotel van, etc.) to get there from the CAT.

The City Line, once operational, will be important for commuters and yes, development around the new stations began a few years ago.

Re: the BTS, new 4-car trains are expected to be deployed on the Silom line while the 3-car trains will be added to the Sukhumvit line hopefully relieving some of the capacity and schedule issues.