FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:43 pm
Mahalo

Just back from a 3 night FWKN stay at the RH. I have to agree with previous posts here regarding how accommodating the management staff is at the RH. When I checked in, there were no junior suites available and I was offered an ocean view room which would be available later in the day or a garden view room that was available immediately. Tired, I choose to take the garden view room. It was more spacious than I thought considering that I had heard how small the rooms can be. This was a double bedded room which had a desk, a small table with 2 chairs, a flat screen TV on a TV stand that also contained a mini fridge. There was also an additional sitting chair and side table. As housekeeping was cleaning, I did peak into some king bedded rooms and they did look tiny compared to this room which I received.

The next morning as I was picking up my parking pass ($20 a night at the Sheraton Wakiki), I inquired if any junior suites freed up. I was told he would speak with a supervisor later in the day and he would leave a message if a room was available. After a long day out, I checked for messages but there was none. After dinner, I had a message that there was a suite available. I wasn't sure I wanted to move since this was night 2 of a 3 night stay but after inspecting it, I felt compelled to make the effort.

I was told this was a full suite (Haleakala) in the 22 line with a garden view. Once you open the door, you are in the living room with a desk directly to your left and a flat screen TV on the wall. Along the left wall was a sofa with 2 side tables and 2 lamps. There were 2 sitting chairs facing the TV and a coffee table. There was a sink to the right and underneath was a mini fridge. Behind the chairs towards the windows were 4 chairs and a table. To the right of the doorway is the bathroom with 2 sinks and a separate door for the bathtub, toilet. Passing the 2 sinks is the entry to the bedroom which has another entry / exit to the living room towards the window side. In the bedroom was 2 double beds, 2 sitting chairs, a desk, flat screen TV, one side table and lamp. There was also another door which leads out to the hallway but the key doesn't work on this door and the doorway is not numbered.

One post critique the carpet and wallpaper but I thought it was very well done and aesthetically pleasing. The wallpaper was only on one wall where the headboard is. Without the wallpaper, the room would look quite bland. The carpet in the halls and the wooden doors add to the charm. I asked the Towers concierge which rooms she preferred and she liked the charm of the main building over the 1970's tower. Undoutedly an ocean view is nice but I very much enjoyed the main building. I have no idea what an ocean view room looked like though so can't comment.

The staff at the beach were very friendly and helpful with towels, umbrellas. As mentioned previously, I also am a bit miffed with the 6 pm closure of the beach as it seems a bit early. One day while swimming in the ocean past 6 pm, my beach chair was gone and I was concerned that my beach bag with glasses (blindbat) was under lock down but it was simply left on the chair which was stacked up. The rest of my belongings remained on the sand, left all alone. Folks are early trying to get the chairs closest to the ocean so if you want to snag one, you will most likely see the sunrise.

As I had a late flight, I was unsure if a 4 pm checkout was in the cards considering the suite but I was given 4 pm late checkout without any hesitation when requested the night before. The kids also really enjoyed the food court right within the RH shopping complex and this was also extremely convenient. Overall, I think this property is definitely a jewel in the Starwood family.

Last edited by Mahalo; Sep 9, 2009 at 3:52 pm