FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:19 am
courcoison

Good Day:
I stayed for two days at the Royal Hawaiian last week using two free week end nights following 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki at the Regency Club level/ocean front/$148.00 AAA rate.
I tried to confirm a room “type” 24 hours in advance by stopping in at the Royal Hawaiian in person around 9.00 pm.
The sole reception agent working at the time was not helpful and I was sent away being told that the hotel was busy and I would get whatever room would be available upon check in.
The fact I disclosed I had been in touch previously with a member of the Royal Hawaiian management made no difference.
I checked in the following day around 4.30 pm and was appointed an 800 square feet suite overlooking the inside courtyard without requesting it in the historical building.
The platinum amenity (fruit plate) never made it and I requested and was given instead 2 free days of internet service later in the evening.
Suite #463 has a long wood floor entry way leading directly to what must have been originally a small round wooded waiting room.
From there you access straight ahead a large living room (small bar with fridge, dining table with 4 chairs, a flat screen TV with sound system/CD/DVD player, another small fridge, a non sleeper coach, 3 coffee tables and 2 chairs) , a sleeping room/bedroom on the left with a very small bathroom featuring only a shower and no bath tub (note the bedroom has its own door) and a desk.
On the right a restroom is located next to a door leading to a second bedroom (this room was not part of the suite I was given) which would make this suite possibly a two bedrooms suite if needed.
The carved doors are “circa” 1980 but do little to keep noises out and when outside the suite it was possible to hear whatever was going on (I could clearly hear the music I was playing on the audio system as well as the TV)… not much privacy.
The hotel looks very nice although the room furniture and decoration do not create any kind of special feel . By this, I mean it is cold and I can also see why some people do have issues with the carpeting and the wallpapers.
Downstairs in the ladies bathroom they used to have a large quilt. I am told this was removed.
This was my first stay at the Royal Hawaiian so I do not have a point of reference although I have stayed in Honolulu many times since 1988.
The staff with the exception noted above was professional and helpful.
The beach chairs with their parasols were great and free.
The beach staff was attentive providing from time to time free smoothies.
Although the use of the open air lounge is restricted to occupants of the newer Royal Tower I was given access.
Compared to The Hyatt Waikiki Regency Club or “The Nines “in Portland this lounge does not provide a great value at all.
Breakfast offerings are limited to coffee/tea and pastries as well as cold drinks during the day. Pastries were in short supplies every morning of my stay and I never saw any “pupu’s” in the evening.
I had a few drinks at the Mai Tai bar and a plate of seared Ahi.
Curiously the piece of Ahi tataki I was served had three ends instead of two you usually get …
I was afforded a late 6.00 pm check out without any problem.
This is a very nice property certainly worth staying at and I had a pleasant week end.