FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye usairways mastercard!
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:55 pm
BostonMark

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Thanks to the government's new "consumer friendly" credit card rules - which gave the banks 6 months to plot their revenge on the consumer - the card companies have ALL been upping interest rates, slashing credit limits (sometimes to less than the balance on the card), raising fees and doing whatever they can to get new rules in place before the new rules.

I have one friend who was approved for an AMEX Platinum, had it for 2 months, and AMEX summarily canceled it for no reason whatsoever. I know someone else who had a perfect payment record, yet their credit limit slashed from $28,000 to $9,450, which was $50 more than his balance at the time (as a result of monthly charges - he paid in full every month and charged a lot.)

There isn't enough money to go around right now with tight credit markets, giving the banks great latitude to squeeze their customers and try to self select the best customers so once the new rules go into effect their portfolios will be more profitable.

That being said, I don't feel quite as bad - my interest rate on my US Mastercard was just hiked to 22.9%.