FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye usairways mastercard!
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:56 pm
AngryPrez

Programs: Delta PM, USAir SM, Starwood SPG, AVIS President's Club
Goodbye usairways mastercard!

Let me start out by saying I have a very good credit rating -- AmEx Platinum Card holder, AmEx Delta Reserve, never (NEVER!) carry a balance, etc. Using my cards for work and personal use, last year charged more than $150K in total -- this year will be a bit less, about $120K.

Have the USAirways World Elite Mastercard, and have never -- let me repeat, never -- been late, had a payment returned, and have never carried over a balance.

I received a letter today informing me that should I miss a payment, the late payment fee will be $39.95. Same for a returned payment.

Which is bad enough, but if I have a "penalty event" (defined as a late payment, going over my credit limit of $25K, or having a payment returned for insufficient funds) the interest rate on all new and outstanding balances goes to prime plus a margin of up to 26.99%.

Based on the August 1 rates, they tell me, that rate would be 30.24%. I was not aware that a 30% interest rate on a credit card was even legal! And in the event of a late payment or returned payment, that would be IN ADDITION to the fee of $39.95.

Clearly Mastercard and Barclays Bank do not want my business. And, by extension, neither does USAirways.

I had already moved much of my flying to Delta after the charge-for-water fiasco, with only about 45K miles this year on USAirways. Now the rest of it will follow. Which will also obviate the need for me to renew my USAirways Club membership when it expires next month.

Nice job, USAirways, in driving away one more frequent flyer -- great partner you have there in Barclays. Nothing remotely like this ever happened when your partner was Bank of America.