FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Toddler Food - What's Allowed?
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:09 pm
Jon Maiman

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
We have a three year old daughter. When she was younger we had no trouble getting a small soft side cooler (i.e. bottle holder) through security with a blue ice pack, a few milk and/or juice bottles, yogurt, etc. Now they say she is a toddler and our experience has been variable. Maui (OGG) and Cincinnati (CVG) were very difficult and confiscated stuff. On the other hand, our home airport Pittsburgh (PIT) and Chicago (ORD) didn't give us any trouble. The last time we went to Florida (FLL and PBI) she was only 2 years old and we didn't have any problems. We have also found that liquids packed in Sippy cups or bottles seem to get less attention and cause fewer problems with the TSA than pre-packed individual serving milk boxes or juice boxes.

In you specific case, I think they will be pretty lenient for the stuff for the 1 year old. The 3 year old would be more questionable but they might be given more slack because you also have a 1 year old.

For milk onboard planes, our luck has been better recently. I can only speak for UA but they did have milk onboard and gave us some without a hassle. In the past either they didn't have it or said it was only to be used with coffee.

I agree with the GBeckman that it isn't worth the hassle to bring yogurt and/or milk through security. My wife feels otherwise. If there are some items you can't buy at the airport go ahead and take them through security. Try to minimize the amount of stuff you take and place your cooler with the items in a separate caddy with the top open and let the TSA know it is for your 1 year old. That will give you the best chance of getting through hassle free.

--Jon