FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:25 am
TravellerOnline

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by superbobx2
I must agree that this is by far the best *wood property currently in Shanghai. We actually decided to try the St. Regis and the Westin as well (which I'd been to once before). The room might have actually been the smallest at the LRM (by a little bit compared to Westin- the St. Regis rooms are much larger in general), but it had the nicest view, ambiance, decor, etc. Fantastic room and amenities, excellent club lounge.

One interesting thing I found in China is the noted strictness of lounge access. The St. Regis wanted to charge extra for an extra person (a little over 12 yrs old). I said really, you charge extra for a child? The lounge attendant said, "she is not a child." I asked, so what is a child exactly? To which the reply was "like, 4, 5 years old." Very strange. I guess the point is that I asked in advance at the LRM lounge and the attendant said no problem and seemed puzzled as to why I would ask...

If you are in Shanghai, get thee to the Royal Meridien!
I have stayed at this hotel about 30 times since it opened. Most of the executive lounge staff know me fairly well.

I have to agree that it's the best *wood property in Shanghai. The St Regis is nice, but it's in Pudong, and not even in the better part of Pudong which is Lujiazhui Financial District (across the bund). The Westin is nice too, but no view and somehow I can't find an comparable price as the Royal Meridien. The two FourPoints are too far away, and the Sheraton is not that convenient either. Guess have to wait for the W to open. Until then, it has to be the Royal Meridien.

I am not sure why St Regis executive lounge charges for a 12 year old. I have brought a 8 year old to Royal Meridien many many times and once to St Regis, and were never charged for extra even when there are two adults in my room. I have taken a guest or two to the executive lounge at Royal Meridien many times and were only charged once or twice for extra person.

BTW, the lounge manager used to work in the bar, and you can ask her to make whatever cocktail you would like to try during happy hour if she is around.