FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New JB Policy? Can't move into exit row / extra legroom seats
Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:08 am
Travelsonic

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
If there is a product that costs x and you take it for free, isn't that stealing? ?
I'm going to be a radical for once and say "no."

Yes, there is a semantical element to this post, deal with it.

For one, it would be more akin to tresspass - since you didn't deprive anybody of anything (you can't take money away from somebody who doesn't have it, that defies logic and would make a terrible case in a court of law), you are trying to access somewhere you shouldn't - like how accessing the cockpit when you shouldn't isn't all of a sudden considered "stealing" (but in the right circumstances will get the TSA/FBI involved post-911).

Now I don't wan to hear "But how can you think it is ok then?" - I never said or implied that, I merely addressed a different point in the post. You don't have to think something is stealing to think it is wrong.

(also, if your logic was correct, IMO, accepting gifts would be considered stealing since *you* didn't pay for that gift, you dirty rotten thief you.

Now to the meat of the matter, I am wondering - if it is such a problem, why not make it possible to pay on board to upgrade yourself to those seats if they are unoccupied - or any of the extra legroom seats for that matter - if they are so dead set on making money from those seats after the plane is off the ground. I will admit I don't know *how* it could be done, but it would seem possible.