FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - new direct WN service STL <-> MSP will compete with NW/DL
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:00 pm
stlBased

Programs: NW/DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by drsan
I was hoping the next route that WN opened up ex-MSP was STL, and it happened.
I actually fully expected this to be announced by the end of 2009 and one of the very next ones ex-MSP. With only really NW and AA running flights on that route, it was too fat a target for WN to resist.

Originally Posted by drsan
Delta, sorry, this is going to cost you 30-40 segments a year and $15-20K in revenue. Given the reduction in FF benefits and the downsizing of metal ex-STL, WN is now going to get 100% of my business from that station.

The next move for Virginia Avenue is, of course, to cut frequency MSP-STL. That will completely seal their fate for me and several other STL-based FFers. For me, this is the last domino to fall. STL-MSP nonstop on WN, game over.
Yeah, I'm in a little bit of a pickle here too. NW/DL still goes a lot of places I need to go within some perimeter of reasonable efficiency and better than AA. But for midwest travel incl MDW, DEN, and now MSP, it's going to get harder and harder to justify NOT flying WN. The prospect of flying a late version Fat Albert vs. a CRJ200 almost seals it.
Once I ex-out these more 'local' routes it makes it hard to justify the other ones as slipping out of high elite status will definitely make it not worth it.
If I swap it'll cost DL ~2x what drsan is talking about.