FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Lyon {FRA} (no longer Honors)
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:31 pm
swise

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
I lived in Lyon one summer to study at a university there. Can't comment on the Hilton, but here are a few of my favorite don't misses...

- Leon de Lyon: My favorite restaurant. At the time I went there, it was the most expensive meal I had ever eaten, and I was extremely hesitant after I made the reservation. After the meal, no hesitations. I would go back in a second.

- Cathedral St Jean: The most powerful catholic in France resides here (not Notre Dame, believe it or not). There's a really cool 12th? 13th? 14th? (one of those) century astronomical clock inside. It chimes at noon and 1 I think. You can watch the immaculate conception take place as it chimes. Very cool! One of the Medicis married here. Parts of the church date back to Roman times.

- Basilisque Fourviere: A newer church, when I think "cathedral," this is what I picture. Go in on a Sunday when the organ is playing. Spectacular. The view of the city is great from there.

- Theatre St Jean: Ancient Roman theatre, still in use every summer for outdoor concerts

- Maison des Canuts: The Silk Museum. These looms are some of the first computers, complete with punch cards. They're all still in use today. See the evolution of the silk trade in Lyon and how it shaped the city. There is a film they regularly show. I believe it is in French. Still worth a visit though.

- Vieux Lyon: The Old City, the west bank of the Saone. Stroll the streets, stop at a bouchon for a bite. I prefer the Bouchon affiliated with La Tour Rose... I forget its name. I think it's on the Rue de Boeuf. Get the madelines with honey ice cream. divine.

Go to the Marche (market) on the bank of the Saone. I think it's there on Tuesdays, until about 11 AM or noon.

If you're into WW II, go to the Museé de la Resistance. The cynic in me can't help but think that it propagates a bit of a political agenda, but it's interesting nonetheless.

-Le Parc de la Tête d'Or: I believe this may be not too far from the Hilton. A beautiful park. Definitely worth a stroll. My favorite part is the little pasture of deer.

- Shopping: Hermes is based here. Lise Charmel also. There are some wonderful stores, including Zara, Baiser Sauvage, Printemps, Fnac, Mephisto, etc. The best shopping is on the streets all around the Place Belcour. Of course, shopping won't be like it was for me, when you could get 7 francs to the USD. Those were the days.

It doesn't sound like you'll be there long, so this is probably more than you'll have time to do/see. Have a wonderful time, whether you're there for business or pleasure!

[This message has been edited by swise (edited Jan 05, 2004).]