FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - new direct WN service STL <-> MSP will compete with NW/DL
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:57 am
drsan

Programs: Marriott PP, UA 1K, DL Plat, AA Life Gold, WN A-List
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
We never paid > $330 per person, but it took some real effort to achieve that, e.g. back to back NW/UA tickets via ORD, funky DL routings through Travelocity, flying once out of RST for $240, a YX sale which backfired when they canceled the route but we managed to get 2 of our 4 trips pushed to NW, etc. For most of a year prior to that we were often flying into ORD/MDW & then driving to the St. Louis area; I kept wondering if National would fire me for all the mileage we were running up on the cheap weekend rentals.

WN has really been a breath of fresh air in this market and has put an end to a year & a half of hassles in avoiding grossly overpriced plane tickets.

Airbus must have really ramped up the production lines.
Breath of fresh air is right. I just saw the WN announcement and was delighted. I was hoping the next route that WN opened up ex-MSP was STL, and it happened.

Delta, sorry, this is going to cost you 30-40 segments a year and $15-20K in revenue. Given the reduction in FF benefits and the downsizing of metal ex-STL, WN is now going to get 100% of my business from that station.

The next move for Virginia Avenue is, of course, to cut frequency MSP-STL. That will completely seal their fate for me and several other STL-based FFers. For me, this is the last domino to fall. STL-MSP nonstop on WN, game over.

Goodbye, Delta! It's been nice, it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun.