FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PAPER Formula: Folders, packing cubes, compression bags, garment bags, bundle packing
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:50 pm
tfar

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Curious, do people not put slacks or jeans in packing folders? I usually put everything in them (shirts, underwear, socks and pants). Do others pack only shirts in the folders?
I am sure people put all kinds of things in them. I put only shirts, ties and the occasional polo in there. Think about it. The main effect of the folder is that it keeps your shirts, the most wrinkle prone items, rather wrinkle free. The other items don't need that treatment. In fact, they might disturb the sliding function of the packed folder. Shirt on shirt usually slides better than shirt on jeans for example.

Also, the classic "waist in, legs out, wrap around when finished" method for trouser packing is better for the trousers because it avoids the folds at the legs. So by leaving the pants out of the folder you are doing the trousers and the shirts a favor.

In addition, folders add considerable weight and cost. I'd only use as many as necessary. If you pack all your stuff in three folders for example, you just added two pounds of weight and $50 to the luggage bill that are not necessary.

Underwear and socks are the easiest items to pack. You can stuff them anywhere unless you insist on impeccably ironed silk boxers. Socks go in the shoes anywhere. Underwear and t-shirts can be rolled and put in a packing cube but even that is not really necessary. Still I mostly do that.

The only exception I might make to this system is if I travel with a single bag (really a single bag) like the Valoroso 18" tote I just got, that has no compartments that open wide enough to easily lay stuff in there. In that case I can imagine taking a single folder, packing it with one set of clothes and inserting it into the compartment. Still I will probably wrap the pants around the folder and only put the underwear inside. The socks would get rolled and stuff in some corner or used as a cushion for the laptop.

Originally Posted by OzBarb
I made my own packing folders about ten years ago, using ripstop nylon, edged in bias binding, and very thin, light plastic chopping boards from Ikea, They are roughly diamond-shaped, with a long strip of velcro loop or a shorter piece of velcro hook at the points.

I use the chopping board to fold the clothes into uniform rectangles, stacking them on the folder, then place the board on top and compress the contents as I fasten the points together.

They measure 38x30cm and each weighs less than 100g. One folder will easily hold six long-sleeved tops and two pairs of trousers.
Welcome to FT! Very interesting first post. If you want to be famous how about a complete how-to with pics and shopping list? Certainly an unrealistic and inappropriate request, but, ehy, that's me.

Till

Last edited by tfar; Nov 19, 2009 at 5:21 pm Reason: spelling corrected