FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New JB Policy? Can't move into exit row / extra legroom seats
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:40 pm
jbsjbs

Originally Posted by Long Distance
Great move by the FA and B6 if they are now enforcing this.

If you buy a five dollar ticket to sit in the bleachers at the new Yankee Stadium, you are not upgrading yourself to one of the (always empty) $2500 seats behind home plate.

EML is a product they are selling for much needed revenue. If you know that you have a chance to get it for free, you will not buy it for your next flight.
I didn't mean to start a contest to see how many different examples we could find of other scenarios in which people buy one thing and "steal" another. But you're wrong when you say, "If you know that you have a chance to get it for free, you will not buy it for your next flight." This is a new JB policy and yet in the past (pre-policy) I've still purchased EML seats because I didn't want "a chance" to have it, I wanted to have a guarantee of it.

We can argue all day about whether a business is better off letting an expiring commodity go to waste (to use some of the many analogies in this thread . . . 9 holes of golf, a cut of meat, an empty plane seat) or using it to enhance the experience of an already-paying customer. The fact that most airlines are losing money and/or bankrupt means they probably have some room for improvement on the pricing front. But the manner in which JB is implementing the policy leaves much to be desired. nsx's point that inconsistency is an annoyance is exactly right, and if you know that your new policy makes you pretty much the only airline on which someone would be forbidden from moving further back in their cabin to an exit row, print up a little sign and be consistent.

--Jason