FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EarlyBird Check-in: A Convenient Way to Travel...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:26 am
lewisc

Southwest tells us about "open seating" and that we are free to sit in any empty seat. Looks like what SW suggests to the passengers doesn't match the official rules.

I see a lot of "issues" if passengers think paying $10 gives one passenger the right to reserve 3 seats. Currently many of the passengers with B BPs can get seats together. if a bunch

Originally Posted by N702ML
Expert,

As a Southwest flight attendant, I can understand your frustration at the cabin crew not confronting Customers who are saving seats.

However, after a lot of searching, I have managed to find a copy of our official Inflight Services monthly publication dated March 2009.

This ISSUE is addressed:

"Myth: Customers are NOT allowed to save seats for their traveling companions.

Busted: We currently have NO policy preventing Customers from saving seats, and as a flight attendant, you are not expected to monitor Customers who are attempting to save seats for their traveling companions."

The article goes on to explain that in a situation where two people are on a PNR and one Customer is A-List and the other person is not, our Ground Operations personnel are to suggest that they save a seat for their traveling companion since they will not be able to board together.

The article also states: "Customers are also to be told that if they are going to be attempting to save seats in a 'prime real estate area,' they can expect to be challenged by their fellow Customers."