FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Downgraded food and service in business class
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:45 am
sfvoyage

I flew NH in J FRA-NRT r/t a couple of weeks ago and had reset (i.e. lowered) my expectations after reading this thread. However, it wasn't so bad. While they no longer serve a second meal, they've also added 2 light meals (one Western and one Japanese) to the list of anytime snack menu. The light meals are not much lighter than the eliminated second meals. Plus you can ask for anything on the snack menu anytime. I witnessed my seat mate (a Japanese salaryman), a couple of hours after the main meal, ordered ramen, then pizza, then one of those light meals in succession. Before landing, he had a couple more items.

I am not a huge fan of NH catering in general, but the food quality is pretty good. One data point for those who like AVML (Indian veggie) - they are somewhat spicy ex-NRT and wreaked havoc with my taste buds, starting with the amuse bouche. After those 2 dainty bites, I was no longer able to drink any wine or champagne for most of the flight - they all tasted sour and acidic. I had to switch to sake. I hear beer goes better with Indian food, but I don't drink beer. Actually, I don't drink much anyway, so essentially I just had water mainly.