FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel with Tools - TSA Concerns?
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:46 pm
AngryMiller

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by colevalleytim
I appreciate the advice on buying tools but you are not a professional, I am. with over 20 years of experience. And I won't use lousy tools, they are dangerous, inefficient and produce bad results even in skilled hands. If I were a chef worried about checking my "set-up", would you say get some knives at the local hardware store...

My original question was about security of the tools, TSA hassles at the airport etc.

So if someone has travelled with tools, post 9/11, please help me out.

Thanks again
When I travel 'heavy' I've got around 70 lbs of tools. They are in a good Pelican case and are locked (if TSA cooperates). There's also a smaller tool kit (metric socket set, screwdriver set, and some other misc small tools) packed into a small tool bag and packed with clothing. If all you're doing is taking apart furniture and appliances you might also need a metric allen set. Go with bits that would fit into a bit holder (get a good one) and you should be ready to go. A large pair of slip joint pliers/water pump pliers could be taken along, just in case.

The only issue I've had was with Canadian customs wondering why an American was working on Canadian equipment. If you're asked by customs don't lie to them, and have the name, address, and phone number of the people you'll be visiting.