FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel with Tools - TSA Concerns?
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:41 pm
magellan315

Originally Posted by colevalleytim
Actually, buying a bunch of tools is probably more hassle and expense than you'd imagine. I'd probably have $500 of professional hand tools (no power), and just rounding up that many at the UK equivalent of Home Cheapo would take 2-3 hours. Although I appreciate the idea.
You've said you want to do some minor repairs, $500 in professional hand tools is more than anyone needs for minor repairs. Unless your friend is doing major renovations leave your tools at home. I've moved in an out of countless apartments and if I can't fix it with a hammer, an assortment of screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, and some wrenches. Then its time to hire a professional. The basic tool list above might cost you $75 if you don't buy high end tools and leave them as a gift, because they will get limited use after you are gone.

I used to travel with hand tools as well for work, they are heavy so you will pay extra fees for the weight, you'll spend a lot of time explaining why you have all those tools, and it makes your luggage target and they could get stolen.