FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:20 am
prestonh

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by traveling_again
That's my biggest gripe since Budget/Avis started this program. I almost always drive the more than 75 miles, so the original rip-off part doesn't hit me.

But about half the time now when I pick up a car, it is already a hair below F. I almost always suck it up since it normally well above a 7/8 line. But I do a slow burn since I picture the previous renter getting stuck with a double-charge for burning like $5 of gas and I get stuck paying for the gas.

Another 1/4 of my rentals the needle dives sharply from F as I drive away. I make a point of filling the car at what I expect to be the half way mark of the rental. No shocker, I always "use" 1 or 2 more gallons on the outbound than on my return.

This is all new since the program started, I really thing the big rip-off is they charge low mileage renters that fee, yet they don't top the car off unless it is below something like 15/16 full.
Yup, it's crap and one of the reasons I left Avis this month. I called the station manager in GEG after two rentals in a row did this. MCO was about half the time. They just don't top off the tanks. I get some money back on this, though, as I refill a near-empty flex-fuel vehicle with E-85 before I return.