FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:41 pm
martinclemson

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, AA, HA, Delta, Intercont Ambassador gold
Royal Hawaiian Rocks vs. Moanna Surfrider

I personally have stayed at all spg properties on Oahu and Maui The Royal Hawaiian staff is by far, the best of any property I have stayed at in Waikiki. I can personally also state that the fact that the Owners of the property, who also own Sheraton Waikiki, have gone out of their way to keep the guests at the Royal happy and comfortable at all times, they could have done the standard in Waikiki and start with the priciest rooms with a one or two floor level buffer and work they're way down. No, they didn't follow the standard hotelier "renovation" They lost millions in revenue as to not disturb a single guest. I have been at all levels of the status chain with SPG and I have always been treated Royally at the RH. The staff is warm and kind but not snobbish or pushy in any way. I always get the feeling of true "Aloha" when I stay there or drop in when staying somewhere else. I am staying for 7 nights Oct 14th and am so excited to see the Renovation work that has been done. You cannot call the owners or management at RH cheap in anyway, shape or definition. I always stay in the Historic building, I stayed a total of 6 times at RH and each experience was perfect except one stay. Management immediately and without hesitation made the situation right and actually went above and beyond what any hotel would normally do. Surfrider was a great hotel under the same ownership as RH and Sheraton Waikiki, but when new owners took over and did the "Westin Thang" I feel the hotel slipped a couple notches in service and Aloha spirit. I guess I go to Oahu on leisure every year and the Royal has captivated me, family, friends and business associates. I would pay triple (if I could afford to do so) to stay at the RH vs. Moanna Surfrider. A lot of the employees of RH have been there for 20 plus years - that alone says something. I believe in any organization, its a top down deal. The RH owners are kind, caring, considerate, loyal and that is hard to say about any Multi Billion Corp., but you can see the same faces from housekeeping to concierge year after year at Royal Hawaiian - its because they care. Stay at the Royal Hawaiian if you can. Points, Cash, Combo, or however you can swing it, the RH experience is truly something every FT member should experience. Of course, its just my opinion and its worth what ya paid for it. Thanks, Aloha, Martin