FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Order of applying unused Ticketless travel funds?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:20 am
SWAVictor
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by SAPMAN

1. Unused Tickets -- Tickets purchased and then cancelled that were purchased without any Travel Funds originally (pd by Cr. Card)

2. Other Payments -- Funds from cancelled tickets that were purchased with Travel Funds. Also incl. gift cards and LUV Vouchers.
Complete Unused Tickets will fall into the unused ticket category regardless of how they were paid for (credit card, southwestgiftcard, Southwest LUV Voucher, or exchanged funds).

Other Payments will include downgrades from other tickets, leftover funds from a previous exchange, or nonrefundable funds leftover from a refund request of a mixed refundability ticket.

If you have both Unused Tix and Other Payments, they apply Unused Ticket funds first regardles of Expir. Dates. ie. I was buying a ticket for $250. I put in 2 Other Payments totaling $60. Wanted to pay the diff. with Unused Ticket Fund worth $240 as it had a later expiration date.. System took $240 from Unused Funds and $10 from Other Payments area. Leaving me with $50 of earlier expiring credits.
You are correct that "unused tickets" are always applied before any "other payments"... this is indicated on the entry screen:

Up to two unused tickets per passenger may be applied. Unused tickets are always applied first

Payments are applied in the order entered by the Customer, if you prefer to apply them in a different order (ie:expiration date) you can use the "remove" feature to remove a payment from the top of the list, and then re-add it to the bottom.

I did NOT do this. One can book an bogus flight with the Unused Credits, immediately cancel - which turns the Unused Funds into Other Funds. When in Other Funds, they are used in order of expiration. Actually I bought a Comp. Pass flight and paid the $2.50 form the Unused Credits, and the balance turned into Other Funds. Then bought my flight using Other Funds.
The balance of your original ticket became "other funds" because it was now leftover funds from a previous exchange as noted above. The $2.50 would also become other funds because it is a partial leftover fund (the actual award coupon was the rest of the "funds"). If you had purchased a revenue ticket and canceled it, the canceled ticket would be an "unused ticket".

Also in the Apply Travel Funds section it says one can use up to 4 Other Funds and one Credit Card. I have 4 Other Funds listed and system said I needed to delete one of Other Funds to be able to use a Credit Card to pay for balance.
Actually, it says:

Up to two unused tickets per passenger may be applied. Unused tickets are always applied first. Up to four of the following may also be applied in any combination: southwestgiftcards™, Southwest LUV Vouchers, leftover electronic ticket funds, and one Credit Card.

"one credit card" is part of the "up to four of the following". In other words, you can apply up to 2 unused tickets per passenger, and a total of 4 other payments for the whole reservatoin. . one of which would be the credit card.

Also I found out I had a cancelled Reserv. with funds thet showed one Expiration date when I look it up in Travel Tools area. When I applied the funds for a ticket, the Applied travel funds showed there were two amounts with different expiration dates for that one confirmation code - on seperate lines. I deleted the one with much later expiration date and system only used the amount remaining. But nowhere earlier was I able to see that there were 2 amounts with different expiration dates. Not sure why?
In the old ticketing system, expiration dates were at the PNR level. In the new system, each ticket within a reservation carries its own expiration date.
For some this is good news because if you are buying multiple tickets and have a small amount of funds that are soon to expire - that amount may only be applied to one of the tickets you are buying and the rest will have later expiration dates - ex: Today you are buying 4 - $200 tickets in one reservation, and applying a $100 "unused ticket" or "other payment" that has an expiration date of 11/1/2009. The first of the 4 tickets will be paid with the $100 credit plus $100 from a credit card and will expire on 11/1/2009. However the remaining 3 tickets will all be paid by credit card - and that $600 will not expire until 1 year from today.

For simplicity, the funds lookup screen simply shows the earliest expiration date of all the tickets that may be within that one confirmation number.

While it can be very confusing - the vast majority of tickets are purchased with 100% credit card. FT'ers by nature tend to travel more and have more available funds floating around out there.