FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa - Canada [Master Thread]
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:54 pm
pwrshift

I stayed in a 1 bdrm suite for several days early August and enjoyed the hotel. Teca resturant was very good (italian -- steak was great)...Cottages restaurant a little more 'average' but great hamburgers. The construction around the hotel seems to be finished now as they opened the beach while I was there as well as another building. Be prepared for a lot of stairs outside down to the beach which is quite a ways down from the main hotel.

We had dinner away from the hotel one night - at Water's Edge - about 15 min drive. People were arriving by seaplane, helicopter, and boats -- great atmosphere but food not great. These places all seem to be run by students in summer.

Our 1 bdrm was very nice but not a water view - just bushes - from the balcony. Flat screen TV's in living room and bedroom. Setup similar to a timeshare -- even with studios next door with walk through doors. Checked out some studios as well, and they were nicely done and equipped with a kitchenette rather than kitchen, but quite functional -- seems like the studio with 2 beds is larger than the studios with king beds -- only a few have balconies. Very nice bathrooms - separate shower. All rooms have fireplaces which would be nice in winter. Dishes, large under counter fridge, 2 burner hot plate, dishwasher, etc. Nice quality furnishings. 4 pools including the spa - $125 for a facial. Drive up from Toronto was to take less than 3 hours but took us almost 5 hours -- the highway 400 was plugged almost all the way, mostly due to construction. Took 169 and 12 to go back to Toronto - much faster.

Everyone seems anxious to please except for the front desk people who were not properly trained...told me they were full with 3 weddings and couldn't find my reservation even though I gave her a copy of the email sheet. A supervisor came to the rescue, but very abrupt with me as if it was my fault. I was also told that they do not recognize platinum elites when they are full and don't give any 'treats', as the gal called them, because they are a 'resort'. No concierge room. Valet parking is outragious at $25 a night ... but the walk from the free parking lot is uphill about 600 yards. Internet in the room is $17 a night but free in the lobby. Resort fee $9 a night. Bike rentals ($75 an hour), boats, very expensive.

The receiver is trying to sell the remaining 84 units and it seems like a timeshare hustle. I was told by the receiver rep that Marriott has a 25 year contract to manage the place and cannot pull out. The place was very busy -- as you might expect in summer -- but I'll bet it's dead in winter. Wouldn't surprise me to see Marriott close it down in winter ... they've already stated that the new Paignton House building (detached) won't be open in winter.

They are not a 'pet friendly' resort but I saw one person with two standard poodles, another with a golden lab pup, another with a miniature poodle, and one person with a service dog. All of them were at the main pool and the balconies where people were eating. I had left my dog at home and called the front desk to ask if I could have brought her, but was told there weren't any dogs in the hotel, period. Guess I was dreaming.