FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated: "I'm Based in Hawai`i, Which Carrier Should I Choose?" Thread
Old Aug 21, 2009, 4:29 am
slippahs
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jimoney
good to know. thanks. what airline would u recommend then?
I think that really depends on where you'll be flying out of HNL. If you want a really strong Asia network and still want a domestic carrier as your preferred choice, you'll have to stick with NW or deflect to UA. If you'll be choosing the West Coast as your primary destinations, then it's UA/AA (if it'll be mostly SFO and LAX), NW (for LAX/SEA/SFO/PDX), or HA (which serves really any major airport on the West Coast + LAS/PHX).

If it's the east coast, HA won't work too well there, but NW/CO/UA/AA/US all work.

Looks like it'll be LAX/SAN and Japan. So your options are rather limited here. UA does all three (UA has a N/S to SAN, if it hasn't been canceled, but it has an infrequent schedule--once/twice a week). But UA also recently dropped KIX if your travels were to take you to Southern Japan. NW does LAX, NRT, and KIX.

:mod hat on:

Let's also move this thread to the Hawaii forum, since it deals with all programs for a Hawaii-based flyer, rather than just simply the WorldPerks program.

-slippahs, NW forum co-moderator