FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any site like this one? (link inside) Paris descriptions
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:36 am
mhnadel

Programs: united, american, alaska
Four ideas:

1) The DK Eyewitness Travel Guides are very much aong those lines, with neighborhood by neighborhood walking maps and fairly detailed descriptions. I've found them quite valuable in Rome and London, but have never used the Paris one.

2) The mainstream guidebooks (Frommer's, Fodor's and the like) usually have at least one or two walking tours of major cities on their websites.

3) There is an excellent book called Paris Walks which also includes some that take you off the beaten path. I have seen a similar idea on little cards, which could be easier to carry.

4) My boyfriend is a great fan of a book called "Turn Right at the Fountain." I've never used it myself, so that's a second hand recommendation. I have some qualms about how up to date it would be since it looks like the most recent edition is from 1996, but major tourist attractions tend not to change much. It might be worth looking for at a library, though, to see if it would suit your needs.

Also, don't forget about organized walking tours. I haven't done any in Paris, but I've done several of the London Walks and found them quite entertaining.