FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:17 pm
onobond
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Wasted a "Free weekend night" on this hotel, without competition the worst Sheraton I've seen. Reading this thread, I was surprised to see it's only 2 years old-

With a 11.30 pm arrival with courtesy shuttle, I had to wait 14 min for check-in, as the only person at the desk was busy taking reservations by phone.

There's a lot of truck traffic around, even noicier than all the planes you hear, loud and clear.

Only one of two elevators were operating, but in a randomly mysterious way

The "complimentary breakfast" as a Platinum amenity was a joke, at the practically non-existent "lounge" consisting of some furniture at the elevator entrance on top floor. Arriving at 8.40, with 20 min of service left, I found 1 piece of butter (but no bread), 1 sad single chunk of pineapple (but no spoon to fish it up with), empty bowls with traces of having marmalade packages inside in a former life, no cutlery, two styrofoam cups only to fill one third of one with the remains of the very sad, and lukewarm "coffee" Waiting for 5 min, the serviceperson arriving excused the non-existing BF by "we're closing at 9!"

BF at the restaurant behind the check-in was very slow. During my visit, never more than eight guests. Despite 3 waiters, 8 min to order, and 24 more to deliver standard hot item of toast/scrabled eggs/bacon.

Avoid!