FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "New" RA qualifiying limits as of June 1st, 2009
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:07 pm
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by antonius66
Well, I do not know if revenue would make a difference or nights, or qualifying nights, or what would do it. I mean, I will have spent about 4500-5000 USD on ICH properties this year (most of it in ICs), but will only have 18 qualifying nights (7 nights in IC madrid on FnF got me no points or qualifying nights even though they are offering the same nightly rate I paid right now as a normal advance rate, and 6 nights at IC Tahiti on FnF will likely get me no points or nights also.) There is no way I will requal, even though all my stays, including the FnF ones (which should count as stays even if you don't get points considering the rates are not all that much better most times than what they offer at times) are going to total about 32 (all but 4 in an IC). I mean, 30 nights would equal 60k points from stays without promos and bonuses, but I don't see that putting me anywhere close, nor do I see spending 5k putting me anywhere close. Pity my pointbreak nights or buy 2 get a free night promo stays do not count as stays, since that would put me at 45 or so.
Back in the days when the Six Continents Club created its own tiers, to be an Ambassador (the then top tier) one had to have a spend of $25K or 50 nights at three different ICs. Becoming an Executive (no longer in existence) required a $15K spend, or 30 nights. (This was before HIs and CPs joined the hotel group, so one could only stay at ICs or Forum hotels to earn this status, much more expensive and limiting than today.) So your $4K is rather puny by comparison.

The FnF rate was clearly defined as one you would not earn most elements of the PC program. One had to make a trade-off in long term considerations. Had you paid the advance bkg rate, you'd have earned night credits that qualified for the 15 nt 20K IC bonus, likely worth the few extra bucks a night.

Let's face it, you want your cake and eat it too, and that's just not in the cards. Many of us to 40-60 nights a year, paid at qualifying rates, and we earn pts, bonuses and high tier status in both programs. Most do this on the company's tab, but a few of us are paying our own way.

Last edited by Shareholder; Aug 17, 2009 at 3:13 pm