FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Elite business class upgrade success (master list)
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:41 am
MKE Sam

Great idea, Newsman! I'd like to see it as a sticky. I'm also interested in how early people are requesting and receiving upgrades. I will often approach the GA up to an hour prior to determine if there is any inventory left, and to ask when they plan to start processing upgrades. FL is known to begin boarding early, and I hate to ask for an u/g after boarding has started (even if that's when the 40-minute window opens).

MKE-SFO flight 342 on 8/17/09
Unsuccessful. Approached GA about an hour before the flight to assess availability and was told BC was full.

SFO-MKE flight 343 on 8/21/09
Successful. Called the elite 800# at 12:01 am EDT and redeemed four credits. Flight departed with one seat open in BC.

MKE-SFO flight 342 on 8/24/09
Unsuccessful. Approached GA about an hour before the flight to assess availability and was told BC was full.

Update 9/7/09: My only successful upgrades on this route in either direction were when I called the elite line at 12:01am EDT the day of the flight and upgraded with credits. While I feel this is an acceptable use of earned credits (certainly better than upgrading with credits on a shorter route, such as between MKE and LGA, and better than paying $100), it is somewhat of an inconvenience, and you're redeeming at 4 times the rate you're earning. Fortunately I built up a reserve of credits during the MKE to LGA promo.

I will be off of Airtran for now - until either my destination changes or the direct red-eye from SFO to MKE returns to the schedule. For the next month I'm on NWA/Delta MKE-MSP-SFO and back.

Last edited by MKE Sam; Sep 7, 2009 at 4:50 pm