FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 'FUTURE OF BMI' thread, the LH takeover, & what it might mean for Diamond Club...
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:40 am
ScottieFlyer

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by alanw
Exactly. I only fly C and F as a rule, and I use DC because of the high earning and C&M. My take was that most members are in the same situation. It's not a good choice for Y flyers.
i'm not sure I grasp your point. It seems to me it is even a good scheme for 'nonflyers' given the nonflight earning opportunities. Changing travel needs see me in transition from UA to EK but I'm making hay at DC while the sun still shines. Without trying very hard, invaluable advice from FTers, and having flew only a few domestic Y flight, over the past year I have accrued and redeemed 4xOW J with SOs from Europe to South East Asia using C+M and I hope to add a further 2xOW by the end of the year. I cannot believe my luck and wish I had joined DC much earlier. That said, for the 10 years previous I flew usually about 100K/yr with UA mostly in Y (that's all employer would pay) but at the time their scheme was great too so with a combination of SWUs and comp upgrades the majority of my flights were in C. I believe the benefits received might even outweigh the costs incurred but I make no apology for that. If the airlines want to favour and reward C and F flyers more generously (which ultimately they do in any case) then they should design their schemes like BA EC.