FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who/what is National nowadays?
View Single Post
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:18 pm
dia1

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Who/what is National nowadays?

OK, I'm thoroughly stumped.

Need to rent a car at BCN. Have been using Hertz (#1 Gold member) but they've gone too far downhill to pay their high rates. Planned to switch to National based on some FT posts and pretty good rates I've found.

Read on FT that National and Europcar are a team for rentals in Europe but as I search for rental companies at BCN, I see that (at least in Spain) it's really National/Atesa. That's OK--I used to use Atesa way back when it was really a Spanish company and it was fine.

I try to book online at the National/Atesa site. Good rates appear but I can't get the discounts to book online. I call National and get the discounts. I receive my email confirmation--which says to go to the Alamo desk at BCN. WTH.

I search online to figure out what the relationship is and find this site
http://www.enterpriseholdings.com/
which indicates that Enterprise has recently bought Alamo and National. This website mentions only Europcar as European partner.

So, does anyone know the scoop on this?

And, more importantly, has anyone dealt with National/Atesa in recent weeks? I would much prefer to deal with Atesa in Spain than Alamo!!! (I have had awful experiences with Alamo and won't use them anymore.)