FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - please help - travel addict banned from travelling by wife
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:23 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
My grandfather was never able to get rid of his travel bug after he retired from the Air Force. He would be home for less than a month before he started driving everyone crazy because he himself was stir-crazy and started to get irritable.

My dad is obviously an Air Force brat and has inherited that travel bug (and the irritability ). He was always jetting off somewhere for work. Now in his retirement, it's all about flying to golf destinations, usually last minute.

Your wife probably wants you to be more a part of your kids' daily life. Sharing the kid-chores - shopping last minute for some wierd hat for a school play, going to their sports games, schelpping them to birthday parties etc. My grandfather was never really a part of my dad's life and my dad was never really a part of mine growing up. The novelty of seeing them after a trip actually became tiresome over the years. They felt like strangers in their own houses. It was actually a relief for them and us when they left on another trip.

Having a spouse that's not around, esp when there are responsibilities such as kids is not for everyone. Sometimes, even when you think you're okay with it, you're not when you actually try it. There's a reason why the divorce rate is so high in the armed forces.

Definitely seek counseling and try to work out a compromise. I also have the travel bug but have reached an okay middle ground with my SO.

BTW, one a year by yourself is not too much to ask. Sometimes you just need your personal time. For some it's happy hour with the guys, a fishing trip or golf, but for us, it's a MR or a weekend in Paris.