FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:46 am
Athena53

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tfar
I didn't know it wasn't allowed to mail alcohol from Europe to the US. I thought that was possible. Some years ago in St. Emilion I saw many crates at the dealer marked for shipment to private addresses in the US. Did those regulations change? Or are there shipping methods that are legal?

Till
Sorry about the tangent (and I know we have a long thread somewhere on getting alcohol back home). We've been told by our favorite scotch whisky store in Edinburgh that they can't ship to the US due to US laws. The owner did point out that it seems silly because it's perfectly legal for us to bring 2 bottles back in carry-on so why not if we mail them to ourselves? The local shipping store has "alcohol" at the top of the list of things they cannot ship. So, in theory, (cough, cough) one could ship them only by saying (cough, cough) that the contents were something else. There are similar laws within the US because of states trying to protect their distillers/liquor dealers.