FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DIY *A and OW RTW 2009 in the top cabins
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2009, 2:27 am
TEX277

Originally Posted by ylwae
Thank you for the report! Glad you enjoyed the meal at Joël Robuchon--we had a good experience there as well.
I am surprised that it took me so long to discover this restaurant although I gather it opened back in 2006!!

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I am undecided, the Hyatt looks good.
I spent so long looking at the article and looking at each restaurant's website trying to work out which one would suit us best. However, from that list I doubt you could make a bad choice!

Originally Posted by PhilH
Fantastic report TEX277 - particularly fascinated by the Maglev, I'd love to go on that. Must get myself off to Shanghai sometime soon!!
It was basically a free side trip that I had there. I only really needed to get to HK but figured that as I could have a stopover in HK on the way to somewhere else I'd be foolish not to visit a new destination. It came down to a choice between Beijing and Shanghai for one night stay. I guess that the cleaner and more modern image of Shanghai gave it the edge but riding the Maglev was the deal clincher. For around £8 for a return ticket, it represents great value for money too!

Originally Posted by HIDDY
TEX277 - You like your grub.

I don't blame you, that buffet looks great as does your meal at Joël Robuchon. Another super report and a interesting choice of airlines ysed on your round the world routing. ^
I'll confess to being a sucker for seafood!!

With regards to the choice of airlines, UA/US were a necessity in getting to LAS as I was booking so late. I had only travelled on Cathay in economy and as they are based in the land of my wife's family and are a 5* Skytrax airline, I began to view their First Class as something to aspire to.

Personally, I think 75000 BA miles for SFO-HKG (and on to PVG on KA) represented a fantastic opportunity to fulfil this aspiration that was just too good to pass up. Especially when you consider that a journey from LHR-HKG (which has roughly the same flight time) would have cost 120,000 BA miles!!!

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Incredible report as usual, TEX277! Thanks so much for taking the time to write it.^
Thanks lucky^

You must know that report writing is no 5 minute job! It is amazing how much time writing such a report takes when you factor in the writing, proofreading (yes I am sure there are still a few typos in there!), resizing photos, uploading them, formatting the text and inserting the photo links.

I like reading through the feedback that I receive and I know that others will use these reports to research their own travel plans. I know that's what I do! I was a little surprised when researching this trip that there are not too many images of Dragonair F and Shanghai Airlines J kicking about. Hopefully I have gone some way to help rectify those issues.

Originally Posted by rkaradi
Great trip report, thanks. Did the UA food taste as good as it looked. I was quite surprised, because I feel there food is so much lower in taste/quality as most other carriers.
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food on United. The one exception being the jacket potato! I think perhaps that's just one of those items of food that maybe don't lend themselves to consumption at 38,000ft.