FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:27 pm
Arizona2

Programs: American, British Airways, Lufthansa, Northwest, US Air
On a business trip with my brand new boss, he was denied boarding LHR-MUC (after 10 wonderful hours PHX-LHR) due to the size of his carry on - no gate check for whatever reason - he had to go back and check it. Got to Munich and found no driver to meet me, as well as no luggage. New boss shows up an hour and a half later, calls the V.P. of our European entity to come get us. And translate for me as I purchase remarkably overpriced shoes, sweater and t shirt at the Munich airport. And as this is the first time I've ever met this guy, it was very nice of him to pay cash for my underwear at the grocery store, since they didn't take credit cards! We drive at - I dunno - 170 MPH - to the hotel, where I order "dear" steak. Don't know if it was venison or beef. Take an ice cold shower, watch The Family Guy in German as the snow piles up while drinking Budwiser (just what I want to drink in Germany), and head into the office the next morning in long underwear. Way to make a great first impression.

And then there was the time I had to visit our UK office in September. Where I live, its still reaching 100+ degrees this time of year. Why would I think merrye olde England would be the same? So $100xxx GBP later, I am now equipped with a makeshift cold weather wardrobe which I get to haul back to the US - essentially doubling my luggage. And may I also note that I had not signed my credit card, so the exchange desk at King's Cross refused to take it. I had to borrow from my co-worker whom I think was not pleased. To add insult to injury, said baggage was lost on the way home and arrived two days later.

My mistake in both cases was heading off with nothing but my PNR and the name of the hotel. No names, addresses, phone numbers, weather forecast, nothing. Never again. And hopefully not so much bad luck!

Last edited by Arizona2; Aug 9, 2009 at 7:33 pm