FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:15 pm
TVCMH

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Situations like these make me wonder how many veteran travelers were on board. Based on the replies here and my personal experience I'd assume that an elite (myself included) would be more likely to find a "solution" or at least raise some media eyebrows after a few hours of confinement.

While I'm generally opposed to a passenger "bill of rights" (largely because lengthy delays are often not under the airlines' control and returning to the gate will cause more gridlock and extend delays) I believe in this particular instance CO and XJT need to be held fully accountable. It's incumbent upon airlines to make sure that an airport filed as an alternate has adequate facilities to accommodate pax in the event of a diversion. In this case the dispatcher who filed the flight plan shares responsibility with the crew for sending them to an airport that was not equipped at that particular time of day.