FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:40 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I feel bad for CO here. ExpressJet is a separate airline with separate operations - they simply have a licensing agreement to run flights and sell seats in cooperation with CO.

Unlike the old Delta/Comair arrangement, there is no ownership interest or operational control to a level where CO could call XJ and order them to do something. We can't even be sure to what extent CO ops people even knew what was happening to their customers beyond the diversion.

I have to say that the passengers share some blame for their predicament. Until a plane load of people grow a set and forcibly march off the flight, these types of incidents will continue because airlines realize they only need to get through the PR storm and fight off a few lawsuits. Once they find people popping open doors (not the emergency exit, you can just open the regular door and deploy the slide) and marching across the ramp, their attitude will change real fast and it won't need a 'Passenger Bill of Rights' to happen.

I will add this: Continental does publish their commitment to handle these type of situations (including the option to deplane after 3 hrs) right there in the inflight magazine.