FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Netbooks and the evolution towards larger machines...
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:20 pm
LIH Prem

I skipped everything but the 10", went to that, and dumped it for an ultra-portable when I found a good price on it. I know you dislike Sony, but it's a great little machine.

They are getting to the point where they can fix the issues that I had with them.

- The 10" x600 screen rez. (that gateway fixed that already).

- crippled processors.

I think the line between ultraportable and netbook are going to get fuzzier over time. Intel doesn't like it and will continue to try to fight it with their silly restrictions. Microsoft doesn't like it and will continue to make it more difficult, but there are certainly other processor companies and other OS vendors if you don't want to pay to upgrade the OS that comes with it, when they stop shipping then with XP. Though W7 Basic or whatever it's called, may be good enough since they lifted that ridiculous 3 app restriction.

What was the issue with the gateway? I thought you liked that one? You raved about it when you got it. I remember you liked the fact that it had a 64-bit processor, but I really didn't see why that mattered if you were just running a 32-bit OS on it. Since physical memory is limited, there isn't a lot of benefit if you install a 64-bit OS on it.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm