FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Obama appoints Errol Southers to head the TSA
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:53 pm
Superguy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Aside from the fact, that every other agency in DHS is unionized minus USGC due to their military functions, IIRC.
And DHS is an out of control and underperfomring organization as it is. Coincidence? As I stated before, it's hard enough for the G to get rid of bad apples as it is without union protection. Why does more fuel need to be added to that fire?

Perhaps, but some of want accountibility and I feel forcing TSA showing to show management surveys will weed out bad managers that themselves underperform. On top of that, our whistle blower protection is practically nil... just look what happened with Robert McLean.
I agree that management at TSA is a big problem. There's a lot of bad apples in there too. It encourages the bad apples in the lower ranks. Funny thing is that it SES govies are a lot easier to get rid of GS employees. However, when the bad apples are sitting at the top - Kippie, Chertoff, Nappy, etc, it's easy for the bad apples to stay when being a bad apple is viewed as a good thing because it fits the cultural norm.

I also agree that there should be better whistle blower protection. I'm not convinced that a union will fix that as it seems to be more of a Congress and courts thing.

Well then welcome to what we go through because even though it supposed to do that it does the exact opposite as Bart has pointed out before with those people who get that short burst of energy and perform good enough and then go back to being mediocre and I have pointed that cronyism plays alot into it.

Don't follow SOP good enough but kiss enough ... you'll get rewarded nicely... but follow SOP correctly but don't kiss ...... no bonus for you.
Welcome to the real world. If you think that cronyism and a$$ kissing isn't at play in the private sector or even the unionized govie sector, then I have a bridge to sell you. A union won't fix that - there's cronyism within the union and guess who gets to move up? It's just a different type of good ol' boys club. Neither club is a good thing.

I'll tell you one thing - I didn't get promoted when I was a unionized govie as I wasn't a yes man. I spoke my mind, pointed out problems, and generally tried to improve things for the good of the organization, the students, and the tax payer. Others didn't. Guess who moved up? The yes men and brown nosers.

Unions won't fix that problem - you'll just trade one set of problems for another. The problem will be fixed by overhauling the system. TSA's system is broken beyond repair.

Super