FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mexico: Car Rental / Renting a Car master thread
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:23 pm
D1andonlyDman
Suspended

FYI, I own a condo in San Jose del Cabo, and I ALWAYS rent a car when I'm down there. Taxis are very expensive, and in particular, if you want to go places in both towns, and along the corridor, you need a car if you don't want to waste half of your vacation trying to avoid paying $25-50 every time you need to get somewhere that's not right near where you already are, and another $25-50 to get back to your hotel.

Insurance coverage IS expensive there, figure on $15-17 a day just for coverage - and you'll want it. Just figure on an extra $100-120 a week in cost, but having a car, with coverage, is simply the cost of being there.

Typically, I've gotten the best rates from either Dollar, or Payless, but occassionally from National. Generally speaking, including coverage, you should be able to get an economy car for something in the $250-$300 range a week if you shop around.

Not having a car will end up constraining your trip. Having one will allow you to freely get to either town - and I expect that you will certainly want to. If I were staying on the corridor, I would consider a car to be absolutely essential. The ONLY way I'd consider not renting one would be if I was staying somewhere in Cabo San Lucas near Medano Beach and the center of town, and only expected to go to San Jose once during the trip.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; Aug 8, 2009 at 1:32 pm