FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Obama appoints Errol Southers to head the TSA
Old Aug 8, 2009, 12:56 pm
LoganTSO

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Superguy
Additionally, I see no reason to allow screeners to unionize. First off, there are a lot of federal employees that DON'T get to unionize.
Aside from the fact, that every other agency in DHS is unionized minus USGC due to their military functions, IIRC.

Secondly, TSA is largely unaccountable as it is and has a difficult enough time getting rid of bad apples. Adding a union into the mix will only make that worse.
Perhaps, but some of want accountibility and I feel forcing TSA showing to show management surveys will weed out bad managers that themselves underperform. On top of that, our whistle blower protection is practically nil... just look what happened with Robert McLean.

Thirdly, I believe unions promote mediocrity, much like the GS system did. There's no reason to go to a seniority based system that unions promote nor is there any reason to pay every worker the exact same. The good workers won't be rewarded for their work and the bad ones will get paid just the same. Overhaul the PASS system - make it more fair and reward the screeners that do a good job and demote or can the ones that can't make the grade.

DoD's finally getting off the GS scale and moving to DCIPS where there's pay banding. The intent of the program is to be able to better reward those people who excel at their jobs while giving little or no increase to the under performers.

Super
Well then welcome to what we go through because even though it supposed to do that it does the exact opposite as Bart has pointed out before with those people who get that short burst of energy and perform good enough and then go back to being mediocre and I have pointed that cronyism plays alot into it.

Don't follow SOP good enough but kiss enough ... you'll get rewarded nicely... but follow SOP correctly but don't kiss ...... no bonus for you.