FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Obama appoints Errol Southers to head the TSA
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:08 am
LoganTSO

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Bart
Let TSOs unionize. If other federal employees can unionize, so should TSOs.
He actually e-mailed AJ Castilla, the president of my local yesterday...

In e-mailing me after I congratulated him on his nomination to head the
TSA, he said this about all of you: "I look forward to joining you and adding value to the homeland security mission at TSA".

This says a lot about this man who will lead the TSA and ‘what’ he personally thinks about each and every one of you federal TSA Officers whom he shall oversee.
I consider that a good sign. That he was actually willing to email the Local president.... because aside from Mr. Castilla and the leaders of Locals meeting up with Gale last month down in DC.... talk between HQ and Locals has been nil.

Also, Bart... take a look at this:
What do you Want in a First Contract?

Originally Posted by vvwhg
As a BOS TSO whom has been both with the TSA and with our AFGE TSO union since the beginning, I would love to see the following:

1)"Sunshine" where the TSA must release annual employee satisfaction surveys by noting individual airport ratings...so TSA can then replace any poorly rated airport management team.

2) Promotions process that includes written and verbal test for a higher position along with an actual appeal of scores process wherein any unchosen employee can match their own scores versus others. This helps prevent any cronyism, favortism, and, TSA's infamous double grade level jumps

3) An appeals policy allowance versus any and all TSA administered non-discipline and discipline action, where a "Weingarten Right" to bring an employee rep of your own choosing is now written in stone.

4) The end of TSA's failed pay-for-performance PASS system which has always cost taxpayers more to oversee and process, than it has ever paid out to we employees.
I'd like to know who in BOS this is so I can give him a pat on the back, because it's essentially the same things I want... and actually some I didn't think off.

But the Weingarten Right is especially something I want because my parents (both state and city employees here in MA) can easily invoke it as AFSCME members... me on the other hand, it's somewhat iffy... we are unionized... but does management have to listen to us, especially since we don't have a CBA with TSA?