FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PAL business class....any good? why so cheap?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:50 am
terminalc

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by erickp
What's the deal? How bad is it compared to the others? I usually fly business on Asiana, Singapore, and Thai. How can they sell their tickets at these rates?

Is the food bad? limited menu selections? No alcolhol? Are the seats not updated or really old? or doesn't incline flat? entertainment sucks?
PR has a bad reputation & it's likely deserved. I have had for the most part very good experiences.

TPAC ex-LAX has a 75% chance of getting a 747 reconfigured with Recaro inclined lie flat seats with 15" AVOD screens. Entertainment options are about the same as on TG.

These are the same seats on LH. The remaining 747s are to be reconfigured soon. I don't know if they have power! The LH seats do.

See pix here

My experience with their biz class FAs is that they are as good as any on TG & as many on SQ. (A lot won't agree with me!) I think they are less mechanical than those on SQ. They are typically much older but competent.

Food is just fine though not served in as nice of a setting as TG or SQ. The portions aren't as generous, I think. Their wine & beer selection are rather severe. It may have more to do with availability in MNL than being particularly cheap.

They use the non-aligned airline lounge at LAX. I've not been to the new one. The MNL lounge is ok. Nothing worth remembering.

I have no problems flying PR. Mileage can only be booked on their program & they have no partners to speak of.

My only bad experience was with a canceled flight MNL-SGN. They handled the delay & getting hotel rooms poorly. But the room & meal vouchers were fine.