FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:35 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I don't think Avis will "top off" tanks. However, I think that with the policy (and others that I've seen where you must present a receipt to show you filled the tank w/in 5 miles of the airport no matter how many miles you drove), they're trying to prevent ill will from the next person that picks up the car, drives 4 miles & has a less-than-full tank. I know I've been annoyed when this has been done to me. However, there are many flaws in their policy. Just because you have a receipt for gas (sometimes within 5 miles of the airport), doesn't mean anything. You could: 1. Drive through stations & grab an abandoned receipt; 2. Put a bit of gas in the car, but not fill it; 3. Fill the car & drive lots more before you turn it in, etc. I don't know that their is a solution to these items, but still shows that their policy isn't worth anything in reality.
I agree that I've often felt to be on the short end of this stick when picking up a car. But, if Avis is truly trying to avoid ill will then why wouldn't they top off the tank? Me thinks they want to avoid ill will so long as it doesn't cost them anything.

And I have never heard about the w/i five mile rule. At some airports that's a stretch, next to impossible. I rarely have been challenge to provide a receipt when I say I've filled up the tank.

My problem with the policy is that even if (and, I mean if) the rep asked at check-in whether you filled the tank, the system automatically prints out a receipt that includes the gas billing if you drove less than 75 miles. Some savvy reps throw it away and override it. Some you have to catch and make them print a new receipt. Either way, what a waste of paper. When some retailers are printing two-sided receipts, printing two one-sided receipts when only one is required is a waste of resources. Perhaps that's part of Avis' daily 65¢ Energy Recovery Fee.