FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:37 am
keeton

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Avis now taxing the fuel charge

Full disclosure: I have taken advantage of the <75 mile refuling charge voluntarily several times - sometimes for convenience and sometimes it actually costs less (e.g. full size SUV driven 73 miles).

I had an experience last week at PDX that soured me on the deal. It turned out my client was fairly close to the airport so I only drove 50 miles for two days. I filled the tank before returning the car because the charge has now gone up to $13.99 so the cost difference is noticeable. I told the lady checking in the car that I filled it up (in most cases they will not add the charge). The charge was added anyway.

Here's the kicker - the charge was added pre-tax, so it was subject to 27% of additional taxes to make the charge almost $18.00! In previous rentals, the charge was at the bottom of the bill after the taxes that applied to the base rental. I did not notice it until later becuase the fuel charge was up towards the top of the bill with the other taxable items.

I had all my receipts and called Avis, faxed them the info and it is being taken care of with no hassle (good for Avis Customer Service!) but if the fuel service is now taxable as a corporate Avis policy, be careful.