FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is JAL racist? Please read my story....
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:59 pm
Flyingfox

Originally Posted by virmaior
I think this is awesome advice. When I was in Japan in May, we used this technique a number of times. Since the Japanese consider being shamed the worst possible experience, the key is to ensure that you make a scene by complaining.

Non-refundable shinkansen ticket? Complain loud enough that you didn't understand because of language so that regular customers can hear it and watch the cookie crumble.
In the (multiple) cases of foreigners "making a scene", or getting visibly angry, raising voices, or having a tantrum, the foreigner only ends up being looked upon by others around as a complete imbicile.
It will be you who will be shamed, not the target of the criticism.
Making a "ruckus" is not the way to get anything done in Japan.

The technique is to stay COOL AND CALM, do not raise your voice, but get the message across that you are not happy with the service, etc. Ask to see a senior person. Be direct but always POLITE.
Staying cool and collected will get you results, believe it. We have employed the technique for years and it works. The only place where it has not worked is at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo, but this hotel is hardly "Japanese" by most standards.