FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Continental Leaving Skyteam for Star Alliance!
Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:50 pm
yashan

Originally Posted by MarkXS
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The only benefit CO has taken away from other Skyteam airline Elites is free 1st/2nd bag checking. And that is not a Skyteam-mandated benefit. CO didn't do that until Delta/NW stopped giving the benefit to CO (and other ST) elites.

You still get all the mandated ST benefits if your elite status is properly updated in the reservation. Right up through the final CO flight of 10/24/2009. If your ST level allows it, you should be able to check in at First/Business counters, get EliteAccess priority boarding, Skyteam yellow priority bag tags on appropriate itineraries, etc.

BTW, there's a huge page on the alliance change on CO's website, linked both from the "Alliance Update" important notice on their home page, and for over a year from their airline partner page.

Sorry you got bad information from one CO rep. But that doesn't mean CO has started shafting ST elites. Sounds like that one rep had the same attitude/knowledge that all of Delta's offshore call center used to have when I tried to explain that NW (pre-merger) and CO were partner airlines and I wanted to put my NW or my CO FF# into a DL reservation.
Thanks for the clarification, MarkXS. ^

I wonder how CO will handle itineraries spanning the 10/24 date? I would really like to earn SM but I don't know if they'll be able to split my miles across my SM for the outbound and MP for the return...